When: Friday, July 11, 6 PM
Where: Union Square, south side of square, near Broadway
Why: In response to the escalation of Israel’s ongoing violence against Palestinians, the Bil’in Popular Committee has called for an international day of action on July 11. Palestinian students from the Gaza Strip have called for international support in ending the Israeli military assault on the besieged Gaza Strip, and for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaigns targeting Israel.
As of Thursday night, Israel’s assault had killed over 80 Palestinians, half of them women and children. 500 others have been wounded, most of them civilians. Israel is bombing Palestinian homes in Gaza, killing whole families, a war crime according to PCHR in Gaza.
Join us as we bear witness to the lives lost in Israel’s most recent assault and heed Palestinians’ call to support their struggle for freedom and justice through boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS) campaigns.
In particular, we’ll highlight the boycott of nearby Max Brenner Chocolate Bar, whose parent company, the Strauss Group, boasts of its support for Israel’s Golani and Givati Brigades. Both brigades have long records of human rights abuses and were heavily involved in Operation Cast Lead, Israel’s 2008–9 assault on Gaza that killed approximately 1,400 Palestinians, including 350 children.
RSVP and share our Facebook event.
Other actions in NYC:
- Tuesday, July 15 at the UN. See: https://www.facebook.com/events/326836980774425/
List of protests around the world.
Actions you can take on-line:
- Jewish Voice for Peace "Open Letter": http://org.salsalabs.com/o/301/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=16061
- US Campaign: Hold Israel Accountable for Brutality toward Palestinians, Americans.
- CodePink: Obama and Congress: Ceasefire in Gaza Now!
- American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee: Tell Congress and the White House to Demand an End to Israel’s Attack on Gaza!
- Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East: http://cjpme.nationbuilder.com/stop_assault
- War on Want: https://secure.waronwant.org/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1819&ea.campaign.id=29640
- MoveOn: http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/press-for-ceasefire-in?source=c.url&r_by=1135580